The Plimsoll Gallery, ongoing projects from September 2012 to December 2015
"The Plimsoll Inquiry" (The PI) is an independent 'lab' of predominantly Tasmanian-based practice-led artists, curators, writers and academics. The PI, in partnership with the University of Tasmania, brought key interstate practitioners of national and international standing to Hobart. With their contribution, The PI extended the programing scope of a university gallery to interrogate assumptions about what constitutes an exhibition; to identify new ways to produce works through collaborative, live, and networked public events, and redefine ‘The Plimsoll’ as a process-driven creative hub rather than static exhibit space.
In an expanded version of the university gallery context, The PI questioned traditional modes of thinking and operating within the arts community, its institutions and pedagogies and enabled a rethinking process about modes of exhibition and dissemination in light of new and expanding practices of art and research.
The project was overseen buy a curatorium of nine artists, curators and academics who saw the series of processes being trialled as specimen cases for future developments within art practice, publishing, research and pedagogy.
Sir James Plimsoll, after whom the Gallery is named, was a Tasmanian Governor. As well as his august official roles, apparently Plimsoll was involved in covert affairs. During WWII he was a member of the Directorate of Research and Civil Affairs (DORCA) It was described as a ‘difficult to categorise think tank, possibly an intelligence organisation that has been described as mysterious, odd ball and bohemian’. We are launched our ‘think tank’ and ‘inquiry’ in the spirit of DORCA.
Sir James Plimsoll b. 1917 - d 1987
This bronze bust by Stephen Walker has graced the gallery entrance for many years and will preside over The Plimsoll Inquiry